Saturday, October 4, 2008

Micro Choices

I have a Velleman PIC Programming and Evaluation Board K8048, with which I can program my chosen microcontroller.

Speaking of chosen micro, after viewing the specifications of my board, I had only one option: PIC16F870.

Micro characteristics:
  • 28-pin DIP package
  • 3 I/O ports (25mA sink/source)
  • 5 MIPS performance @ 20MHz
  • 2K word Flash Program memory (14-bit words)
  • 128 bytes EEPROM data memory
  • 64 bytes RAM
  • 8-level hardware stack, 3 addressing modes
  • Selectable oscillator options
  • Two 8-bit timer/counters with programmable prescalers
  • 16-bit timer with prescaler
  • Five channel 10-bit ADC module
  • UART
  • PWM Module 10-bit
  • Brown-out detection circuitry
  • Power-On Reset (POR),Power and Oscillator start up timers and Brown-out reset
  • Sleep mode for power reduction
  • Watchdog Timer with separate on-board oscillator
  • Programmable code protection
  • 2 to 5.5V operation
  • Low power consumption <>
Fortunately my local hardware store had them in stock, or else this project would have crawled to a standstill even before it started.

No comments: